Call for Proposals
Reclaiming the Commons July 9-12, 2023
November 4, 2022 - January 3, 2023
Oregon Convention Center, Portland
AESS-ASLE July 9-12, 2023 in Portland, Oregon
Our 2023 conference welcomes ESS-related panel and presentation proposals in the interdisciplinary sciences, social sciences, natural resource management, natural sciences, environmental humanities, sustainability, education, activism, and more. To reflect our commitment to scholar and practitioner development and mentorship, we welcome presentations at all stages, from proposal to implementation to publication. Your voice is an important part of our community— come build on our shared commitment to a just and equitable future and collaborate on our efforts to support healthy environmental systems.
AESS and ASLE Collaboration
The Association for Environmental Studies and Sciences (AESS) is pleased to collaborate with the Association for the Study of Literature and Environment (ASLE) in a joint conference. Presentations and panels will include scholars from both AESS and ASLE.
Areas of Emphasis
AESS is soliciting proposals in seven areas of emphasis to facilitate member connections and collaboration, presentations and poster sessions, networking events and workshops. Each area of emphasis connects with broader commitments of AESS to social, environmental, and racial justice. Proposals beyond these areas are welcome. All relevant topics for presentations and panels will be considered.
The areas of emphasis for the AESS 2023 conference are:
- Decolonizing, Defining, & Defending the Commons
- Environmental Convergence with STEM, ARTS, & AG
- Justice in the Commons: Stories, Sciences, & Solutions
- In the Classroom: Inclusivity, Pedagogy, SoTL, & TEL
- Ecological Complexity, Risk, Bio-Invasion, & Beyond
- Policy, Power, & Management: Governing the Commons
- Interdisciplinary Research & Emerging Topics in ESS
- Mentoring and Leadership in Our Fields
- Sustainable Food-Energy-Water Research and Practice
- Individual Presentations (will be grouped into sessions and assigned a chair)
- Full Panels
- Poster Presentations (separate call - coming soon)
- Discussion Symposia
- Mealtime Roundtables
Complete details about each proposal submission requirement can be reviewed at aessconference.org/proposals
DEADLINE: Proposals will be accepted through January 3, 2023.
Please note that by submittind a proposal, you agree: